Getty Image from MTV
Written By: Mandi Lauren Nowitz
Demi Lovato has never been ashamed of who she is. She has battled cutting, an eating disorder, high profile relationships, and publicly endorsed Hillary Clinton for President. She is a woman who is seemingly proud of who she is, as an advocate, singer, writer, judge, and actress but one issue she has never been quite clear on is her sexual preference. It has been long rumored that Lovato is bisexual, especially after the release of her hit song “Cool For the Summer.” When she spoke with MTV’s Alan Carr regarding the context of the song, whether or not it was truly about a same sex relationship, and if the star was bi, she had this to say: “I’m not confirming and I’m definitely not denying. All of my songs are based off of personal experiences. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with experimentation at all.” I think the reason why fans were so curious and shocked that Demi was seemingly somewhat evasive is because she has been so forthcoming in all aspects of her life.
Recently, bisexual actress Bella Thorne told Maxim about Lovato being one of her crushes: “Demi Lovato. I must say…rawrrrr. She is a pretty tasty woman. Miley Cyrus, too. She’s dope. But Demi is fire, just fire.” It will probably remain a secret kept within as to whether or not Lovato is really bisexual but she does do a lot of the LGBTQ community and has been recognized by both GLAAD and Pride, with the latter saying this: “Demi Lovato is an amazing role model for today’s youth, both LGBT and non-LGBT, for her activism in the area of equality, positive messaging on body image, and level of openness with her struggles. As a community, we’re fortunate to have an ally like Demi.” And on top of that, her music goes beyond, as she has created anthems for people everywhere. Here are her top 5 tracks, as this writer and music lover sees them and this is in no particular order, just a short overview of a career worth noting.
1) Skyscraper (Unbroken 2011): after her stint in rehab for cutting and eventual Bipolar diagnosis, Lovato released “Unbroken,” with this being the track that sent chills down your spine. Though this track was not written by her, it was clear that she felt every word she belted out. “You can take everything I have. You can break everything I am. Like I’m made of glass. Like I’m made of paper. Go on and try to tear me down. I will be rising from the ground. Like a skyscraper.” On my worst days, this was my go to.
2) Confident (Confident 2015): performed at the Democratic National Convention, this is one of those songs that everyone should listen to on a hazy Monday, when they don’t want to participate in life or are just feeling down on themselves, to give a little boost. “I used to hold my freak back. Now I’m letting go. I make my own choice. Bitch, I run this show. So leave the lights on. No, you can’t make me behave.” Let your freak flag fly, people!
3) Let It Go (Frozen 2013): Lovato was lucky enough to get to add her version to the hit film “Frozen” and her style was much different than that of Idina Menzel but it was pure amazing and it made a song that some got tired of seem totally brand new. “Don’t let them in, don’t let them see. Be the good girl you always had to be. Conceal, don’t feel, don’t let them know. Well now they know.” I love this song and not just because I am a Disney super fan.
4) Cool For the Summer (Confident 2015): the song that caused all the controversy as to is she or isn’t she is one of he most fun anthems for any summer. “Got my mind on your body. And your body on my mind. Got a taste for the cherry. I just need to take a bite. Don’t tell your mother. Kiss one another. Die for each other. We’re cool for the summer.” Yeah, no subliminal messaging there. Still a super fun song and I do not care the meaning behind it because it means amazing!
5) Heart Attack (Demi 2013): Some of the most outgoing people are actually introverts and that’s so okay because Demi gets it! “You make me glow, but I cover up. Won’t let it show, so I’m putting my defenses up. Cause I don’t wanna fall in love. If I ever did that. I think I’d have a heart attack.” You won’t really have a heart attack; at least I hope not!
So, there you have it; the top 5 Demi Lovato tracks. Here’s hoping that she has many more to come because she has an amazing voice and she’s tremendous live, rivaling icons she may pass along the way. She has paved a path for herself and it will only keep going if she allows it to.